Monday, September 2, 2013

AM I NAIVE ABOUT THE TASK FORCE?

I posted about the foot dragging that has been going on with the Task Force on Custody hoping to bring the issue to everyone's attention.  Immediately, I received emails from readers saying that I was being naïve and that no amount of work on a task force would make any difference, that the system is so corrupt that the task force will be co-opted by folks who want the corruption to continue. 
 
Perhaps I am a die hard optimist, but I don't think that is entirely true.  I believe change begins with a conversation.  It begins with people who are willing to sit down and discuss what the problems are and what can be done to correct them.  Any kind of social revolution begins like this.  That is not to say that a single task force will fix everything, because that isn't true.  I don't see a quick fix happening overnight.  But I do believe that there are people of good will everywhere and that if those people can build some bridges here through the task force, God bless them for trying.  
 
I also think that we are not just talking about change here.  We are talking about how important it is for Citizens of this State to have their stories heard.  The implementation of justice may be slow, but citizens can obtain some acknowledgment for their hurt and pain through the Task Force simply through the process of being heard and having the recognition of supporters such as ourselves.  The process of telling our stories, speaking up about what we have endured and what we have suffered, this is an important process which should not be denigrated or denied. 
 
Yes, this initial task force may be hindered from taking meaningful action, but if it simply sits there while we speak of what happened to us, as we put on the record the injuries done to us, as we name names as we hold up to the light the individuals responsible for criminal activities and various wrongdoings against us, there is a triumph to that which should be acknowledged.  If this is all the task force does, thank God for that. 
 
However, I don't think that this will be all the task force achieves.  I think it will encourage others to come out and speak up about what they have gone through and this means more citizens who are ready to put pressure on our representatives to get something done to reform our State Courts. 
 
I also want to add that we shouldn't just be coming to this task force to complain.  What we need are concrete plans to make changes in the Connecticut Statutes so that we can rein in the corruption by the implementation of laws that are targeted to prevent it from continuing.  So when it comes to the task force we need to come to the table not only with our stories, but also with our proposals for how we can change the law to prevent these tragic situations from every occurring again. 
 
I'm not naïve enough to think that a single task force packed with Connecticut Judicial Branch personnel will do it, but we need to begin somewhere.  At some point we have to shift from being victims who distrust any possibility of healing, to survivors who work toward building a system that stops creating more victims, and the responsibility for doing that starts with each and every one of us. 
 
So, again, I'd say, contact members of the task force, ask them to get things  moving, comment on my blog about how we need to complete the list of appointees at, see below:
 
 
And seriously, are all of you prepared with your stories and your proposals so that you can  work with the task force when it is ready to go?  

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I meet people through my support group I tell them do NOT go to the courts whether it be Family or Juvenile Courts, avoid it all costs. Try to work it out between your spouse or significant other. Tell all how bad it is. I'm professing to teenagers to not have babies unless they are sure it's with a partner who will take responsibility for another life and get along with the other if they have a child together because the courts have made a serious mess and will continue to mess with our families already in a debunk mode. We have to fix society because the courts are not going to do it, they only make it worse for both parents. First and foremost, annilators like Attorney Susan Cousineau should have not ever been considered to be on a this task, who is a serious detriment to our society. Then there is Jennifer V. who has NO experience in the courtroom and can not even come close to what many of us already know about family or Juvenile courts. I hope the task force gets it together and appoints ones with knowledge and experience of the problems of the Family and JUvenile courts because I sure have. I'm taking a case to the CT. appellate court as I write here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am beginning to think that the task force is another great big scam. I hear you on the experience issue, although I am very impressed with Jennifer's focus and dedication. I do think she has observed quite a lot when it comes to Gerry's situation. I feel totally sorry for the next generation because nobody is safe. I feel as though this is all the beginning of a whole social movement to remove children from good homes and to interfere in the family lives of American citizens and put all parents under constant scrutiny. Welcome 1984--big brother will be bringing your children up from now on!

    ReplyDelete